27 October 2010

taste and smell of fall



It's not exactly warm outside today, but at least it's sunny and we don't have the horrible wind we had a few days ago.

weather.com tells me that days are getting shorter by approximately three minutes every day. I wonder how long the shortest day in Lyon is -- about nine hours of daylight? Considering there are 24 hours in a day, that really doesn't seem much.

So I do what I must do, to compensate. Lots of candles seem to help. I light them in the morning, too, because they make the breakfast table cozy and my son likes them. In my home, candles are always white, and all unscented except for a few in the entry hall and living room.

I cook soup often -- I'm in love with all the beautiful mushrooms that are available now, and I find great comfort in the warmth and aroma coming from the simmering pot. Speaking of simmering pot, 'tis the season for vin chaud! This recipe calls for Cognac -- I must try it.

And last, but not least, cold weather is made tolerable with chocolat chaud. I had never been a chocolate enthusiast; in fact, I never really ate much chocolate until I moved to France. Now I feel as if I'd been missing out all my life ("Is this what chocolate is supposed to taste like???"). Bernachon is my favorite chocolate shop in town, and during the cold season, you can find me dreamily sipping the chocolat chaud at the salon de thé.

In fact, I just might head over there this afternoon....

No comments: