09 February 2011

nautical stripes




I'd never been a big fan of stripes and never worn them much until I moved here. But oh boy, French people love them, and you know how easily influenced I am.



Nautical stripes come out in spring -- in full force -- like daffodils bursting into bloom after waiting silently during long, dark, cold winter. Summer is the official "stripey season" in France (and of course in the rest of the world as well).

That doesn't mean I can't wear stripes during the cold season. In fact, I've accumulated quite a few stripey shirts because I've discovered that wearing them noticeably lifts my mood on long, dark, cold winter days. Sometimes I'd be walking outside, feeling bulky and clumsy in a heavy winter coat, and suddenly remember that I'm wearing a marine stripe shirt underneath. Instantly uplifted, now I feel like smiling and skipping on the sidewalk (you know how easily influenced I am).


I'm wearing a stripe shirt and channeling Pablo Picasso, Coco Chanel, Jean Paul Gaultier, Audrey Hepburn.

I feel stylish, but more importantly, I feel happy.


2 comments:

Christine H. said...

I absolutely love stripes too - and wear them all year. They're peppy and cheerful and artsy.

cocopuff1212 said...

■Hi Christine,
I like that stripes are gender-neutral, and that you can't be too young or too old to wear them :)